search:   
The Unofficial 'Empyrean Gate' JournalBy dwarfsoft      
Game Programming Alchemy - The Future of RPGs Wiki - ArchWizards Journal (for BGC Updates)
University
  • Statistics Assignments
  • Accounting Assignments (avg 79%)
  • Marketing Assignments
  • Management Assignments

• Statistics Exam
  • Accounting Exam
  • Marketing Exam
  • Management Exam
Project BGC
  • Design document
    • Story
    • Ingame Mechanics
    • Combat System
    • Magic System
  • Technical Specification
Other Life Related Stuff
  • MCSE Study
  • Get Degree
  • Earn more money
  • Have kids
Legend - To do - In Progress - Done - On the Backburner
Page:   1 2 »»

Thursday, June 8, 2006
Assignments have now been completed.

I have checked my overall Accounting %age which sits at 78.955%. Not bad considering that I don't own the text book (and the last assignment required me to use a table of data out of the book... there went about 20% )

Time to use some time to read Magician (again), work on Empyrean Gate, and study for my Exams...

Comments: 4 - Leave a Comment

Link

Wednesday, June 7, 2006
So, Friday (Tomorrow) I have my final accounting test due. It is currently 75% complete, so I should easily finish that tonight.

I finished my Marketing Assignment, still under the required words. I think they actually require too many words in most of these assignments (or I am too concise) because I find myself needing a couple of hundred words to fill when I have already started waffling on. It isn't like I am missing anything from the assignment, but oh well.

The Stats Assignment I only did half of. I didn't have time for any more. Basically what I handed in was everything that DIDN'T require me to use SPSS. I had already worked out that I would pass my assignment quota even should I not hand the assignment in. So hopefully I get some marks for it.

On the EG front there has been some major reworking of the entire theme in order to fit with that damn Europe thing. At least the concept is sounding more humorous than serious fantasy like it was previously. I am looking forward to the concept of European Wizards Towers immensely

Also, 4 Exams coming up :(

Comments: 0 - Leave a Comment

Link

Monday, May 29, 2006
I simply can't believe some of the absolute rubbish that is required in assignments for subjects like Marketing.

Perceptual Mappings, I mean seriously! Sure, draw pretty graphs to make the mumbo-jumbo appear scientific, although the same conclusions could be gleaned without the stupid 2D graphing of how customers percieve your product. Ridiculous.

If that weren't bad enough, I have Statistics on one hand telling me that I shouldn't draw conclusions from data, because you can't just prove causation because the data proves a link. But in my marketing class they are simply throwing rules like this out of the window and running with whatever hype they can find.

I feel like burning marketing down, but lucky for them I am an external student. *sigh*. It is so funny how one department can just ignore the basic principles of another that are teaching to students in the same semester at the same time...

I wrote up a Game idea for a High School game, but this won't commence until after Empyrean Gate (and 4e5 for that matter)

Comments: 2 - Leave a Comment

Link

Sunday, May 28, 2006
Not long until I can kick these assignments in the rear, and then have to concentrate on exams.

Marketing is the biggest worry at the moment, as it is an essay that needs to be handed in (due in this friday). Once that is complete I have a weekend to complete an Accounting online test (that should take at least one day). Then I have until the friday to finish my Statistics Assignment.

After that, I have a little bit of time to work on Empyrean Gate before exams. The exam dates are 19th, 21st, 26th and 28th of June. Then I have some more time for Empyrean Gate (and heading down to Dreamworld/Movieworld).

Tomothy suggested that he might be headed up to Brisvegas over that period, so I may get the chance to head out to the pub with AndrewRussell, boolean and him for a few brews. Hopefully things go as well as the last BGDC :P.

Link

Tuesday, May 23, 2006
I have been busy of late with a few Assignments (which you should see above have diminished significantly). There are still some to go, but the majority of work is done for this semester. I am looking forward to getting back into Programming for next semester.

With all this work almost done, I am almost at the stage where I can put some more time back into Empyrean Gate. ArchWizard has added a couple of pages, but I have been living off 3 hours of sleep a night again.

The other thing that has been eating my time has been discussing the Columbine Game which is distastefully titled Super Columbing Massacre RPG. This game is significant, if not disturbing, but quite relevant today, given that nothing has really changed in society since that fateful day over 7 years ago.

Having suffered a lot of taunting at school myself and wishing to die and take others down with me I can sympathise a little for Dylan and Eric, but in the end despise what happened (and who really wouldn't?).

Anyway. Time for bed (I've had enough of Marketting #2 already )

Link

Thursday, May 18, 2006
Empyrean Gate has been in a state of Stagnance of late. Not due to any lack of interest from my part, but more due to a lack of time. That should all change after Monday (in the few weeks leadup to exams) as the majority of assignments will have been completed at that stage.

I had 10 hours of sleep over Tuesday Night... because there had been too many 3 hours sleep nights in a row. Then i quickly followed that up with Last Night going to bed at 4am, for another 3 hours of sleep...

I can't wait until my uni stuff actually is related to programming, at least then I can DO the assignments in my sleep.

I will try to get onto Empyrean Gate sometime over the weekend if I can finish off those assignments quicksmart!

Comments: 3 - Leave a Comment

Link

Monday, May 15, 2006
So Archie and I started talking mappage, and how the ingame will work. We are going to stay true to Isometric, and use the Baldurs Gate method of being able to 'travel' back to already visited areas.

We may introduce some of the funky 3D hacks that Diablo II did to make things not quite just 2D Isometric, but that will remain to be seen.

Link

Saturday, May 13, 2006
I have been pushing hard to get a Management Assignment (or two) finished. They are both due this Friday, and hopefully I can finish off the 2500 word one today.

On the Empyrean Gate front I have been discussing alternatives to the Class Selection Scheme that is used by so many RPG-likes. Instead of lumping the Player with the Character Creation Window at the beginning and leaving them to pick their stats, the classes should be decided through the gameplay and the choices that the player makes during the game.

Thats about all on that, and I am writing up my idea into the wiki. Catgirls are a must, you simply can't resist the feline femininity that only comes from a Catgirl

Link

Friday, May 12, 2006
I've averaged at between 3 and 4 hours of sleep for over 7 days straight now. Mostly due to assignment work. I added up some more content to the Empyrean Gate wiki wrt Cultures within the game.

I liked the distinct culture phases that were apparent in Diablo II from act to act. This was fairly well done, especially the melding of multiple cultures into an uber-culture (well, they were similar cultures anyway).

I have been trying to think of some more story fillers/side quests, and when I say 'some more' I mean 'at least one' ;). My brain really isn't functioning.

Oh, I got my results from the marketting assignment. What a lousy thing it was. 66%. But at least it isn't a fail (and its mostly to do with the fact that I didn't "layout" the PPT effectively. Who cares. I had the content!)

Anyway. Its time for me to get somewhere near the first 8 hours sleep in 7 days (I believe I am actually up near 14 days for sleep ranging between 3-6 hours per night)... Up until today I hadn't felt it. I really should not have been driving around today :/

Link

Thursday, May 11, 2006
So Archy has been discussing Race Relations in his journal. He wants a peaceful world where harmony abounds... but realistically nobody wants to play in hippy fairy land. We want conflict, and thats what Dwarves and Elves do best when in the same room... CONFLICT!

ANGRY DWARF!

Link

Tuesday, May 9, 2006
I added in some stuff to the wiki today on the Music system I had been talking about some months back in this journal. ArchWizard has suggested using FModEx, and I am looking forward to seeing what it can do in comparison to SDL/SDL_mixer and OpenAL. Both of the latter I hated for various reasons. OpenAL is not simple enough to set up and maintain, and SDL_mixer annoyed me with its file streaming limitations.

We had a bit more of a chat about Boozing and Whoring in the game. Seems like it might actually be fun to play :P

Comments: 4 - Leave a Comment

Link

Monday, May 8, 2006
After living on Caffeine for the past few days I find that now I can't go to bed early, and I have real trouble getting up in the morning.

I can see why people start drowning their morning with coffee now. Hopefully my brain will wake up enough soon to be able to continue development.

Too many assignments to go though :/

Comments: 10 - Leave a Comment

Link

Sunday, May 7, 2006
Just finished my Statistics Assignment 2. This took a while to complete due to the fact that the student discussion boards were packed full of people disputing what the questions where asking. I should have just made up my own mind about what the questions wanted and continued with that.

One of the students who is really good at helping everyone out had me so confused because he over-complicated the problem. It wasn't until I took a step back and realized that he was trying to do something that didn't need to be done (the question didn't ask for it) that I finally was able to move on with the question.

So its 10:30am and I have now had 3 coffees and am onto my first can of coke for the day. I feel shattered. I didn't get to bed before 3am over the entire weekend.

Link

Saturday, May 6, 2006
I am sitting here at 3am wondering if I am going to get through this Statistics Assignment by the end of Monday. I may need to take the day off work in order to manage it, unless now that I have almost figured out how SPSS works that I will be able to finish the other questions a marked bit quicker than the first few.

I haven't done any work on the Baldurs Gate Clone document, except paste in a complete template for the Design Doc. I have taken to listening to the Baldurs Gate 2 game music in order to get me motivated to complete this project.

I started talking to ArchWizard today about the possibility of Dynamic music. As a concept it seems relatively straightforward to me, but the real test is whether content can be made for the system that is workable (and worthwhile) in the game.

Link

Friday, May 5, 2006
It's amazing what you can accomplish at 2am, when you think that your brain is completely asleep you can come up with some surprisingly interesting ideas.

I will check back on what those ideas were when I wake up tomorrow morning. In the meantime, I might see if I can have some more creative ideas to put into the Skill Trees.

Link

Page:   1 2 »»

All times are ET (US)

Dwarfsoft.com | The Future of RPGs

ANGRY DWARF!

S
M
T
W
T
F