From how to set up a chess board to
the latest in cutting-edge chess. You'll find it all here!

The ChessExchange Forum Index -> Handheld Chess -> The Mephisto Chess Handheld
The Mephisto Chess Handheld
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
Chessmassacre

I will have to say, I ordered the Mephisto Handheld Chess Game last year fom Saitek and it is sponsored by Kasparov. I would like to put in a good word for this computer chess game. It has several levels of play from the level of retarded to chessmaster level, so it's a game for all, even your cat can play the lower levels. It integrates the typical computer (no mistakes) play and has like 50 levels of play where the computer will make a more (human) mistake just begging you to exploit it.
The backlit screen is perfect for what I was looking for. Something to do quiet in the bed in the dark and not wake my daughters up. The screen is a brilliant majestic electric blue that almost makes me think of what maybe the control panel of a UFO might look like, beautiful. You can also set up positions to study,......made a bad move? Instantly take it back and recover while there's still a chance to memorize the mistake (real-time analyzing). It gives you the option of counting the time up or down and even gives you an annoying beep sound with every button you push as well as a clock ticking sound to simulate real tournament play. I find these noises annoying but we all have our perogatives and in their defense.....these can be turned off. The computer (Mephisto) also has chessmaster games that you can test yourself to see if you can make the correct moves that they did during the game thus increasing your awareness as to how a chessmaster may think. (I personally think there could have been more of these). It has a "Trainer" on here also to monitor your every move.(once again just an option that I find annoying, but probably because of the amount of mistakes I make,...it talks alot. Some may like this feature.)
I am not apart of this company, I couldn't care less what goes on with this company, but I feel those loking for a great and cool and useful handheld chess game/teacher.............................you will not be disappointed.Well worth the money. The AI is strong in upper levels too, it will kick your A$$.Exclamation
The Mephisto Chess Handheld
The ChessExchange Forum Index -> Handheld Chess