Advertisment

Forum & Polls

News

NewsWire

Real Estate

Illinois

Yesterday

CNN: Is Barack Obama black or biracial?

With a white mother from Kansas and a black father from Kenya, Obama is the nation's first biracial candidate for president. The media, however, have continually called Obama the nation's first major party "black candidate," saying he could make history as the first "black president." But is that accurate?

Read All 155 Comments

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of 155
« prev | next »
Go to last post | Jump to page:
Kamau
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

Yet another attempt to divide the Black community. F* CNN!
Thomas Gainer
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

Red + Blue = Purple. We're going to finally have to recognize that news races are being created the same way dog breeds are created, by mixing.

I'm not saying mixing is a bad thing at all. My child will be half Asian for example. It's a good thing and people should recognize it instead of trying to apply age old labels to it.

Comments: 1337
raheem devaughns' buss it baby
ISP Location: Ocala, FL
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

I guess it depends on who you ask. One thing I know for sure, he's not "white". I dont understand I didnt hear anything about him being anything but black before he won the dem. nomination. Some bi-racial ppl identify more with one race or the other, mainly because sometimes they are either too black or not black enough. My cousin is white with a straight nose, and wavy hair. She shocks people when she opens her mouth LOL. She identifies more with black people she never knew her white father, but you can obviously tell she's mixed.
MEAN EUGENE
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

Thomas Gainer wrote:
Red + Blue = Purple. We're going to finally have to recognize that news races are being created the same way dog breeds are created, by mixing.
I'm not saying mixing is a bad thing at all. My child will be half Asian for example. It's a good thing and people should recognize it instead of trying to apply age old labels to it.
You're forking stupid. Was your child born on the border of Asia? I doubt it. I think the new race you're talking about is Americans. Your child is American, even though you or you spouse are probably illegal. GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM AND TAKE YOUR KID WITH YOU.
James
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

Unfortunately, the only reason this is an issue is because of the country we live in and it's history. Race and racism is an issue of skin COLOR and as a result in this country, the discrimination, racism, stereotypes, etc. can still be attributed to him by bigots! From that standpoint, he DOES have a connection with African Americans in this country who are more directly descended from slaves transported from Africa. The bottom line is that HE is comfortable in who he is and all he is (he's said this dozens of times by the way)! He just identifies on many levels as "African American". Bottom line, he's whatever the hell, HE wants to be!

“Conquiescat In Pace”

Comments: 1844
ISP Location: AOL
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

MEAN EUGENE wrote:
<quoted text>You're forking stupid. Was your child born on the border of Asia? I doubt it. I think the new race you're talking about is Americans. Your child is American, even though you or you spouse are probably illegal. GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM AND TAKE YOUR KID WITH YOU.
LO F-ing L @ forking!!!
Gainer
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

MEAN EUGENE wrote:
<quoted text>You're forking stupid. Was your child born on the border of Asia? I doubt it. I think the new race you're talking about is Americans. Your child is American, even though you or you spouse are probably illegal. GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM AND TAKE YOUR KID WITH YOU.
Wow..... No I was born in Michigan and come from a mixed White and Native American family. I spent a considerable sum of money for the best immigration attorney in Michigan to handle my wife's immigration to the country from Japan.

Mind you, I went through the proper legal process. Also mind that Japan is not a crud hole like Mexico and so she was worth bringing into America.

You can try and force my family to leave but my AR-15 and Benelli M4 Tactical say otherwise. Until then you're just an uneducated redneck that just made a very bad presumption about my legal status.
FYI
AOL
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

He is what ever color he needs to be ... to suit his purpose for different situations. He changes his skin color like a Chameleon.

All I see when I look at him is a SLICK politician that has voted repeatedly for partial birth abortions. He didn't vote for the war in Iraq because of "protecting" his family heritage BUT ... He sure doesn't care about protecting AMERICAN innocent fetuses!!!!!!!!!!

“Who's awesome....yer awesome.”

Comments: 644
Chi-Tizzy For Rizzy
ISP Location: Chicago, IL
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

Kamau wrote:
Yet another attempt to divide the Black community. F* CNN!
LOL.......love how a biracial dude impacts a "BLACK" community so effectively! LOL

“the real deal”

Comments: 665
Lake City
ISP Location: Gainesville, FL
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

No matter how successful a person may become it just seems color is ALWAYS going to be an issue in this country. People "say" it has nothing to do with it but it's always brought up.

“Take one for the Team”

Comments: 87
Denver Colorado
ISP Location: Denver, CO
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

Up to this point, the American standard has always been. If you have one drop of black blood running through your veins, you are considered black. Why change now?

Besides, any African American whose forefathers were American slaves has some white blood (from the slavemasters and overseers) in his/her veins. So, we and Obama are more alike than we are different.

The more I think about it, this topic is kinda dumb.

“A world of my own”

Comments: 1273
Arizona (now)
ISP Location: Phoenix, AZ
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

he's a black biracial/multiracial like me. Simple as that
Diamond
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

He's biracial plain and simple. Stop making it harder than what it has to be and stop denying half of who he is.
Barry Black Obama
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

He is called the first black President because:
1. He identifies himself as black.
2. American slave standards say he is black.
3. He looks much more black then he looks white. My defense for this procedure: http://www.geocities.com/cureworks1/5blkpres....
There is evidence that these presidents may have been "biracial" would you like them to be considered black from now on?
maquita
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

Barry Black Obama wrote:
He is called the first black President because:
1. He identifies himself as black.
2. American slave standards say he is black.
3. He looks much more black then he looks white. My defense for this procedure: http://www.geocities.com/cureworks1/5blkpres....
There is evidence that these presidents may have been "biracial" would you like them to be considered black from now on?
American slave standard?he is not a descendant of slaves .this is why whites want to claim him.he identifies as black because society label him as black (no choice here )but believe me whiteys start to claim him,check out cnn and he 's related to brad pitt and dick cheney .they're cousins .not exactly the same as those whose forefathers were slaves,whiteys don't claim them.Guess why?
maquita
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Diamond wrote:
He's biracial plain and simple. Stop making it harder than what it has to be and stop denying half of who he is.
WELL SAID!!Blacks love to claim people who are not their own .Renember bill clinton was the first AA president .IT's laughable!!!
maquita
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Buckin_Ray-mxdchik wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.......love how a biracial dude impacts a "BLACK" community so effectively! LOL
UNBELIEVABLE!!

“Who's awesome....yer awesome.”

Comments: 644
Chi-Tizzy For Rizzy
ISP Location: Chicago, IL
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

maquita wrote:
<quoted text>WELL SAID!!Blacks love to claim people who are not their own .Renember bill clinton was the first AA president .IT's laughable!!!
hahahaha......bill.
PoprockswithSoda
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

Obama himself identifies with being black....

Notice the growing trend people, as Obama becomes more popular people will prefer him to stop identifying with "black" and more with bi-racial....

Why should he now all of a sudden change?

I made this point earlier, but imagine in an alternate Universe where Obama never went to law school, but instead lazes around in front of your local convenience store, buying drugs, talking with the typical "black" slang, carrying himself with a mean ditty bop. Most dialogue about him would sound something like...

"Why am I not surprised, there goes another worthless black man (or N%#ger)"

White advocated the one drop rule, white have always wanted to distance themselves from anything less than lily white, and now that he has a chance for success you can definitely see the bias showing its true colors. Obama has every right to identify himself with whomever he pleases.

And since America wants to all of a sudden get rilled up over specifics, how bout we start classifying each other according to color shades like Brazil, because just as well as Obama, many AA are far cry from being anything remotely pure "black". Past Intermingling makes it damn near impossible.

Just shows you the hypocritical nature of this country when they perceive a "black" man succeeding.
blue collar c
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Yesterday

Judged:

Yes, I understand the argument that Barack is biracial...but then again, most if not all Black folk in America are a mix of White, Spanish and Native blood too. We are basically creole like those of Central and South American locales. That said, Obama is of the same mix as other Black folk here...just metered out at a different time point.

Now this is not to say he shouldn't identify with his white half either. I call myself a Black man, but I have so many great-grandparents who were either white or native american in my mix to be multiracial. But in this argument, one has to recognize that being African-American is also a diverse culture as it is a ethnicity. If one looks at it this way, one can better understand the decision of calling themselves "Black" in today's America. Being Black or African-American is an identity that one can hold on to that has specific roots and traditions in which they can lay claim to in some part. Its not wrong to do this, as much as it is for someone to say they are biracial or multiracial. In most part, one can have all these traits and still take part the racial soup in which they see fit--or for that matter, identify with.
Showing posts 1 - 20 of 155
« prev | next »
Go to last post | Jump to page:
Type in your comments to post to the forum
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Illinois Discussions
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The 'truth' about Obama 2 min Amerie 910
And So It Begins: Obama vs. McCain 3 min We were warned 3526
Obama Plans Ohio Stop 7 min bmw is me 36
Why Do We Call Obama Black? 8 min Welcome to t... 1366
Ending Her Bid, Clinton Backs Obama 10 min wmani 1318
Is Change Possible? 13 min Welcome to t... 153
McCain: Obama's economy plans bad for U.S. 49 min McWar 1
Related Topix Forums: US News, African-American, US Politics, 2008 Presidential Election, Barack Obama, Illinois Government