| 

Join the Topix community today: 

| 

Sign In

Advertisment
Gay/Lesbian

Thursday

New Snickers Ad Encourages Homophobia and Violence

The ad agency Omnicom which has produced homophobic and violent ads in the past is at it again.

Check out the video

Read All 130 Comments

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of 130
« prev | next »
Go to last post | Jump to page:
Fight for the cause
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

I don't understand why a person would consider this an anti-gay ad, unless that person is sterotyping every gay as a sissy? This ad is anti-sissy,not anti-gay. I am all for fighting against homophobia, but we should be careful not to look for it when it is not there. That will not help our cause.
Aspen CO
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

I have to disagree with Houston. I do agree that we should be "careful not to look for it when it in not there" but that ad is extremely homophobic. Check it out and judge for yourself!

“Sweety, Darling...”

Comments: 1520
West Texas, USA
ISP Location: El Paso, TX
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

Didn't strike me as Anti-gay so much as it plays on the macho attitude that most guys are indoctrinated with.
The guy "speed walking" didn't come across as gay, but more of a wimpy type of guy.

Not offensive to me, just low brow and I am sure its target audience will enjoy it. The rest of us will turn the channel.

“see feel hear love touch”

Comments: 2998
Davie (somewhere south of NYC)
ISP Location: United States
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

Sorry but the ad is obvioulsy homophobic. The guy is swishing around and Mr T comes in and tells him it's time for him to be a "real man".
KnightCraze
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

I think the whole point of the comercial is making in fun of speed walkers...not the guy in general...they could have used a women speed walker...but then I guess the comment about Get some nuts wouldn't apply. I think it's even funnier that they used MR. T!!! what is he like 100 years old now? I'm Gay and I don't find it offensive....How ever I do find the song " I kissed a girl and I liked it!" very offensive and I'm a lesbian! So I guess its how you want to look at things in life.
Bob from Los Angeles
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

I also find this offensive. It justifies using violence against someone who doesn't meet some "manliness" standard. This isn't funny.

“Manufactured on equipment that”

Comments: 559
processes peanuts.
ISP Location: San Diego, CA
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

I'm glad this phenomena is finally getting some attention in the media. As a sufferer of Graphaudixia, I experience the written word as sound. You can imagine then how violent I can become in a candy aisle, hearing the snickers of those damned candy bars. I've been banned from 37 different 7-11's in the Southern California area, plus several hundred others allow me in only if leashed and accompanied by a trained handler. Next week, I am testifying before Congress to mandate warning signs at the ends of all candy aisles, warning of the potential danger to the graphaudiologisticalismers, as we prefer to be called. Your support is greatly appreciated.
charles
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

Homophobic AND Racist.
Talk about stereo-types... sheesh.
Re-enforces the false belief that gays are sissies and blacks are violent.

White sissy (gay) power walking.
African American man in a big vehicle, big gun, yelling at the sissy and performing a drive by shooting.... oh... with candy bars instead of bullets so it's harmless?!
OK then...

This ad reaffirms some of my worst suspicions of humanity.

“Just another idle weirdo”

Comments: 488
ISP Location: Santa Barbara, CA
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

It seems we have an almost even agreement and dissent about this commercial. interesting.

I don't find it homophobic. Meatheaded crap perhaps, but not anti-gay. As Dante said, that speedwalker didn't seem gay, just a bloody nancy. I've known MANY straight nancy boys. I'm personally not a big fan of nancies either.

But remember... It's just a silly commercial. We have to remember not to get too up in arms over EVERY little POSSIBLE innuendo. Pick your battles. Fight the ones that matter. It's not always good to be too much of a bleeding-heart liberal. Sometimes we have to take life with a little grain of salt.

If you spend all your time being offended by everything, you will live one bitter pissed-off life. That's not good for anyone.
CockroachSleeper
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

not a getting the job you interviewed for is a form of discrimination, but it's a fine line. the issue i see in the ad is this, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH EATING A SNICKERS CANDY BAR! plus, mr. t is a known homophobe and born-again cockroach (x-tian). the ad is pathetic.
Claude
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

dante2810 wrote:
Didn't strike me as Anti-gay so much as it plays on the macho attitude that most guys are indoctrinated with.
The guy "speed walking" didn't come across as gay, but more of a wimpy type of guy.
Not offensive to me, just low brow and I am sure its target audience will enjoy it. The rest of us will turn the channel.
I agree here. For those people who say this is anti-gay - have you ever watched speed walkers? It'll make the butchest guy in the world look wimpy or "feminine," (use of the word which in this case comes from aculturation)- the hips move and shake, baby! We do have to be careful not to look to the nth degree to try to find homophoebia where it might not be. Everything's not black or white. We need balanced, critical thinking.
Chad
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

I didn't see it as homophobic either. It was making fun of speedwalkers, which really does look ridiculous! But people will see what they want to see, just like that Heinz ad that was pulled off the air in England. Most people saw a gay couple, but I saw what the ad intended - the mother was seen by the family, but we saw the deli worker because the ad was for some New York Deli style sandwich spread. People take things too literally!
censoredagain
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

I have to admit that several of you on both sides make some very good points. I also want to point out that the ad also perpetuates the socialization of what a "masculine role" should be in our society thus damaging all men because it tells them how they should act; what is proper for them to do and not do. This isn't anti gay it is anti individual and propaganda.

However, coming from the "Carlos Mencia" school of comedy I find the ad funny and somewhat entertaining. Somewhat? who am I kidding; I laughed my ass off. But I do understand how someone would find the ad offensive. But we have to understand that comedy by definition is intellectual violence and someone/something is always the butt of the joke. That is the nature of comedy. The answer is if you don't like don't watch it and/or don't buy a snickers bar or anything from Mars.
Comments: 4
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

KnightCraze wrote:
I think the whole point of the comercial is making in fun of speed walkers...not the guy in general...they could have used a women speed walker...but then I guess the comment about Get some nuts wouldn't apply. I think it's even funnier that they used MR. T!!! what is he like 100 years old now? I'm Gay and I don't find it offensive....How ever I do find the song " I kissed a girl and I liked it!" very offensive and I'm a lesbian! So I guess its how you want to look at things in life.
I find that song very offensive too. My straight friends didn't get why at first.

“Sexual orientation? Horizonal ”

Comments: 2092
West Chester
ISP Location: West Chester, PA
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Ziggy on High wrote:
It seems we have an almost even agreement and dissent about this commercial. interesting.
I don't find it homophobic. Meatheaded crap perhaps, but not anti-gay. As Dante said, that speedwalker didn't seem gay, just a bloody nancy. I've known MANY straight nancy boys. I'm personally not a big fan of nancies either.
But remember... It's just a silly commercial. We have to remember not to get too up in arms over EVERY little POSSIBLE innuendo. Pick your battles. Fight the ones that matter. It's not always good to be too much of a bleeding-heart liberal. Sometimes we have to take life with a little grain of salt.
If you spend all your time being offended by everything, you will live one bitter pissed-off life. That's not good for anyone.
Absolutely right. People in general are far too sensitive to the smallest little things these days. It's the boy that cried wolf.

Granted, I can't view the video at work so I can't give a my true opinion of it until I get home.
Ricky
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

It is rather un-cool in my opinion. For starters... the guy walking is targetted because he is shaking his booty while he walks and then Mr. T (a reformed Christion right-winger... ahem!) starts shooting him with snickers. Second! I am a walker. And it is proven that walking is better for you than running... so... in this whole ba-a-man thing... they are not only promoting the consumption of food that is quite bad for you health wise... they are also promoting a method of excercise that deteriorates joints and knees. Wonderful. I'm through with snickers...(actually... I haven't had one in a few months... LOL)

“How'd you like 2 be treated?”

Comments: 226
ISP Location: Long Beach, CA
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

Snickers are my favorite candy - upon reading this I was worried as a Gay Man I would have to support a boycott of snickers. After seeing the ad. Homophobic? NOT!! It may deal with what snickers thinks a real man should be - there they are wrong.

Why must we think this character captures the quintessential stereotypical gay? I did not see an earring, a poodle (toy dog), a rainbow sweat band or him holding his boyfriends hand. Can't we all agree that just because a man acts feminine - or in this case fast walks - does not make him a homosexual.

I going out to buy a snickers bar - watch me as i spit and scratch my balls.
WAW
Comments: 204
T.O.
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

After reading all the comments I feel I can see both sides. Hate me if you want but when I saw the video and saw a black man shooting at a white man's ass my knees went weak.

Comments: 7044
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

I don't think it's homophobic I think it's just another commercial making men look like idiots. As a woman and one that has heard how badly men are viewed these days all you have to do is watch some commericals to find out why.

It's a stupid commercial that in my opinion is also violent and vulgar.
peelnet
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Thursday

Judged:

The reason we are fighting the big battles today is because of "Little things" like this. The snide comments etc that were wispered as a gay or lesbian walked by. They were ignored however hurtful they were. Then those comments turned into violent attacks. Still ignored until one day someone started speaking up and rallied others to do the same. And that is the reason any comments that appear to be anti-gay racial etc. need to be fought. Not ignored or brushed off. I remember going to the first gay festival here in Cali. The hatred that came out of the mouths of people who called themselves christians was horrible, the physical attacks as we walked down the streets was violent...today their numbers are few and the signs are not as offensive. The physical attacks are far fewer and less violent. We will never have equality unless all of us fight each and every comment, slur or sign that appears to be anti-gay.
Showing posts 1 - 20 of 130
« prev | next »
Go to last post | Jump to page:
Type in your comments to post to the forum
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gay/Lesbian Discussions
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Why do gays (homosexuals) claim they were "born... 2 min 4Logan 936
Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays (from Oct '07) 2 min June VanDerMark 29396
Tourism Bureau Launches Gay Marriage Sweepstake... 3 min Clerkerist 9
What's tougher to get than a same-sex marriage?... 4 min verad 26
Think homosexuality is "wrong"? 4 min Counter_Strike 40666
Trans woman sues Ga. lawmakers for wrongful ter... 4 min Jesus is the... 67
Family, Friends and Supporters of GLBT People 5 min Righteous__1 1950